We, as White people across the country, endorse the national demands that Ferguson Action has laid out. We believe that justice for Michael Brown, Eric Garner, and Black communities murdered by police is essential to justice for us all. As White people, it is our responsibility to stand along side Black communities and other communities of color in demanding an end to the disproportionate burden of police violence on Black people and People of color. We can no longer stand by and be complacent. This violence and injustice must end now.
*Join us -- and ColorOfChange -- in calling on the U.S. Department of Justice to take action by signing on our open letter. Just fill out the form to add your name. You can also add a personal comment using the box provided.
Here's the open letter we'll send to the Obama administration and US Department of Justice.
Dear President Barack Obama and US Attorney General Eric Holder,
I urge you to do everything in your power to secure justice for Walter Scott, Tony Robinson, Mike Brown, Eric Garner, Tamir Rice, Ramarley Graham, Dontre Hamilton and all police killings of unarmed men, women, and children. We call for an end to the nationwide crisis of discriminatory police violence.
I join others in our shared need for:
- The de-militarization of local law enforcement across the country.
- A comprehensive review of systemic abuses by local police departments, including the publication of data relating to racially biased policing, and the development of ‘best practices’.
- Re-purposing of law enforcement funds to support community based alternatives to incarceration and the conditioning of DOJ funding on the ending of discriminatory policing and the adoption of DOJ ‘best practices”.
- A congressional hearing investigating the criminalization of Communities of Color, racial profiling, police abuses and torture by law enforcement.
- Support the passage of the End Racial Profiling Act.
- Your administration developing and enacting a national plan of action for racial justice.
To read the detailed list of demands from Ferguson Action, click here.