Start a SURJ Affiliate in your town!
SURJ is a national network of affiliated groups working together to expand our collective capacity to organize White people for racial justice. Through community organizing, mobilizing, and education, SURJ affiliates aim to move White people in motion to take action as part of a multi-racial majority for racial justice. What the on the ground work looks like for each of SURJ’s Chapter affiliates varies from place to place, but each affiliate is committed to SURJ’s core values and mission.
SURJ Chapter and Affiliate Group Building Toolkit
What are SURJ Chapters and Affiliates?
- A SURJ chapter is guided by the SURJ shared values. Their primary work is organizing white people for racial justice. A chapter can be a pre-existing organization or a newly formed entity to carry out this work.
- A SURJ Affiliateis a pre-existing organization where some of their work is focused on organizing white people for racial justice, and/or supporting racial justice work through leadership development, trainings, education, base-building, research, fundraising, etc. SURJ affiliates agree with our mission of organizing white people for racial justice and support our shared values.
Both chapters and affiliates:
- Pay organizational dues, sliding scale based on organizational budget,
- Have an active representative in one of our national working groups: Basebuilding, Action, Resources, Families, Queer and Trans, Rural, Faith, etc.
SURJ is fueled by YOU—your energy, time and dollars. All of our support comes from individuals like you. Our tiny staff and massive volunteer base ensures your contributions go a long way.
Will you chip in $5 to support organizing white people for racial justice?
What to Expect from SURJ National?
We are currently in the process of expanding our infrastructure to support local affiliates and chapters. Keep a look out for new updates, but right now, you can expect:
- To be connected with SURJ contacts in your area, as to be regularly connected with interested people locally who contact SURJ
- To be connected to other organizers in your region through regional listerves and facebook pages and through regional conference calls
- To receive support on chapter building, working through big questions and barriers, and on leadership development and basebuilding
- To be connected to national campaigns and to organizers nationally through SURJ National Conference calls
How to Get Started
If you want to start a SURJ chapter in your area:
- Join SURJ and get on our mailing list here.
- Fill out our Start a SURJ Chapter or Affiliate form to get connected with a member of our basebuilding team.
- Fill out this form to let us know your interests and skills.
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Like us on Facebook and Twitter.
We look forward to working with you!