Start a SURJ Group in your town!
SURJ is a national network of affiliated groups working together to expand our collective capacity to organize White people for racial justice. Through community organizing, mobilizing, and education, SURJ groups and affiliates aim to move White people in motion to take action as part of a multi-racial majority for racial justice. What the on the ground work looks like for each of SURJ’s Chapter affiliates varies from place to place, but each affiliate is committed to SURJ’s core values and mission.
SURJ Chapter and Affiliate Group Building Toolkit
We’re so glad you’re interested in starting a chapter. Here's a bit of background information on chapters and affiliates:
What are SURJ Chapters and Affiliates?
- A SURJ chapter is guided by the SURJ shared values. Their primary work is organizing white people for racial justice. A chapter can be a pre-existing organization or a newly-formed entity to carry out this work.
- A SURJ affiliates are pre-existing organizations that are, at least in part, focused on organizing white people for racial justice, and/or supporting racial justice work through leadership development, trainings, education, base-building, research, fundraising, etc. SURJ affiliates agree with our mission of organizing white people for racial justice and support our shared values.
Both chapters and affiliates:
- Pay organizational dues, sliding scale based on organizational budget (this is in-process; while there are no chapter dues right now, we anticipate launching this program in 2017)
- Have an active representative in one of our national working groups: Base-building, Action, Resources, Families, Queer and Trans, Rural, Faith, etc.
You can learn more about how to start conversations in your community about a SURJ chapter by reading our SURJ Chapter and Affiliate Group Building Toolkit [PDF].
What to Expect from SURJ National?
We are currently in the process of expanding our infrastructure to support local affiliates and chapters. Keep a look out for new updates, but right now, you can expect:
- To be connected with SURJ contacts in your area, as to be regularly connected with interested people locally who contact SURJ
- To be connected to other organizers in your region through regional listerves and facebook pages and through regional conference calls
- To receive support on chapter building, working through big questions and barriers, and on leadership development and basebuilding
- To be connected to national campaigns and to organizers nationally through SURJ National Conference calls
How to Get Started
If you want to start a SURJ chapter in your area:
- Join SURJ and get on our mailing list here.
- Start moving through the process of establishing a SURJ chapter or affiliate -- the process is laid out here: http://www.showingupforracialjustice.org/affiliate_and_surj_group_sign_up.
- Like us on Facebook and Twitter.
We look forward to working with you!
SURJ is fueled by YOU—your energy, time and dollars. All of our support comes from individuals like you. Our tiny staff and massive volunteer base ensures your contributions go a long way.
Will you chip in $5 to support organizing white people for racial justice? Click here to donate!