The Movement for Black Lives is calling for mass actions against police brutality on Thursday, July 21st. Come stand on the side of racial justice in Providence with the Community Safety Act coalition and White Noise Collective RI.
Meet at Kennedy Plaza directly across from City Hall at 6pm to rally and march in support of the Providence Community Safety Act.
While we recognize that no ordinance can fully address the culture that supports increased violence in the name of safety, this ordinance would address police policies and accountability, would work towards an ideal of preventing legal lynchings in the future. We long for that time. In the meantime we channel our grief and rage into the passage of the ordinance and call our community to action.
Community safety means police accountability.
Community safety means no person is "illegal".
Community safety means skin color is not a crime.
If you can't make it Thursday, here are some other ways you can support the movement..
1) Sign and share the Movement for Black Lives Pledge: http://action.movementforblacklives.org/pledge
2) Give crucially needed donations to support bail funds and Black-led organizations here: http://www.showingupforracialjustice.org/black_led_racial_justice_organizations?utm_campaign=716_ews_call_2&utm_medium=email&utm_source=showingupforracialjustice
1) Call your city councilperson to tell them why you support the Providence Community Safety Act.
2) Call Mayor Elorza and tell him why we can't compromise on the safety of the community.
3) Check out the Community Safety Act facebook page to find out about the upcoming public hearing and other ways to get involved.
25 Dorrance St
Providence, RI 02903
Google map and directions